As kids, we all might have seen a 3D movie in the theater wearing 3D glasses. With the advancement of technology, our TV has seen many changes. From Cathode Ray tube to Flat TVs, From LCD to LED, and now taken to next level of viewing, that is 3D TV. Imagine watching movie scenes of rain forests or appreciating the beauty of the Himalayas or a spaceship traveling in outer space. Watching these on 3D TV will turn these visuals into an experience.
To understand how 3D TV works, first let’s see what 3D is: 3D means 3 dimensional meaning an object with width, height, and depth. Similarly, in 3D TVs, two images will be on the screen at the same. Here pictures will be moving further or closer together to make users to see the images with depth. And they together trick the brain of the users to create the experience of the three-dimensional image.
Generally, 3D TVs are classified into two major types – Passive 3D TV and Active 3D TV.
Passive 3D TVs work similar to that of the movie theaters. Here, any polarized 3D viewing glasses can be used. And these glasses are economical. But compared to Active 3D TVs will have a better quality of pictures and their cost will be more compared Passive 3D TVs.
In Active 3D TV, the 3D technology works like this. The sequencing of the images is in such a way that, it will block first right eye and then left the eye. This also restricts the uses to use only manufacturer specific glasses unlike in a Passive 3D TV. There are few Active 3D TVs available where wearing a glass is not necessary. Currently, the price tags for such TVs are high, but in future, we can expect them to be more economical.
It is important to look for few factors while buying a 3D TV:
a) There are various screen sizes available for a 3D TV, but it is important to look for a larger screen, as 3D experience will be more effective on larger screen. Recommended would be 32 inches min.
b) Viewing distance also matters it is 4 times of the height of the TV screen. Also if you are viewing TV from 45-degree angle, then the 3D effect will fade.
c) Ensure the 3D glasses are comfortable. If you are watching with a family, make sure you have an extra pair for the guest! Also if you are wearing spectacles, you have the option of clip-on 3D glasses or you can go for lenses.
d) Check for crosstalk, which makes the image flicker, irritating and ghostly images. This is due to the image appears to both of the eyes instead of one. In Active 3D TVs, this problem is more when compared to Passive 3D TVs where it is comparatively less.
Finally, it is the viewing experience that matters. With the advancement in 3D TV technology, we can expect for more enriching experiences of watching TV.
Check the top 3D TVs at Amazon.com
Top 5 best 3D TVs are given below:
# RANK 1
Sharp LC-90LE657U 90-Inch Aquos HD 1080p 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV (2014 Model)
- Refresh Rate: 120Hz (Native); AquoMotion 240 (Effective)
- Backlight: LED (Full Array)
- Smart Functionality: Yes - SmartCentral
- Dimensions (W x H x D): TV without stand: 80.8'' x 47.7" x 4.5'', TV with stand: 80.8'' x 48.9'' x 17.1''
- Inputs: 4 HDMI, 2 USB, PC input, RS-232C, MHL
- Accessories Included: 2 pairs of Bluetooth 3D glasses, Universal Remote
# RANK 2
Panasonic TC-60CX800U 60" 4K UHD 3D 240Hz Smart LED TV
# RANK 3
Sony XBR65X930D 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart TV (2016 Model)
- Dimensions (W x H x D): TV without stand: 57.5" x 33.1" x 1.4", TV with stand: 57.5" x 35.1" x 10.9"
- Smart Functionality: Yes
- Pairs 4K Ultra HD picture clarity with the contrast, color, and detail of High Dynamic Range (HDR) for the most lifelike picture
- Backlight: GRID ARRAY with Local Dimming and Boosting
- Refresh Rate: 120Hz (Native); Motionflow XR 960 (Effective)
- Inputs: 4 HDMI (HDCP 2.2/HDMI 2.0a), 3 USB
- Accessories Included: Voice Remote Control (RMF-TX200U), Batteries (R03), AC Power Adaptor (ACDP-240E01), AC Power Cord Spec (C17 US 2Pin (w Polarity), Cord-Set), IR Blaster (IRB-BR1), Table Top Stand (Separate, assembly required)
# RANK 4
Samsung UN65JS8500 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart LED TV (2015 Model)
- Refresh Rate: 240CMR (Effective)
- Backlight: LED
- Smart Functionality: Yes, Built in Wi-Fi: Yes
- Dimensions (W x H x D): TV without stand: 57.7" x 32.9" x 1.2", TV with stand: 57.7" x 35.1" x 11.1"
- Inputs: 4 HDMI, 3 USB
# RANK 5
VIZIO M551d-A2R 55-Inch 1080p 3D Smart LED HDTV
- VIZIO Internet Apps Plus - Instantly enjoy the latest hit movies, TV shows, music and even more apps made for the big screen
- Theater 3D - Crystal-clear, flicker-free, brighter 3D than conventional 3DTVs; Built-in Wi-Fi - easily connect to the Internet with ultra fast wireless
- Razor LED with Smart Dimming for a more vibrant picture with deeper contrast - all in an ultra-thin design
- 240Hz effective refresh rate with Smooth Motion enhanced with backlight scanning - Enjoy stunningly sharp fast action scenes
- Dimensions: With Stand: 48.61"W x 30.56"H x 10.12"D; Without Stand: 48.61"W x 28.50"H x 1.75"D; Packaging Dimensions: 55.39"W x 36.06"H x 5.43"D